A couple of weeks ago, Joshua and I spent Friday night together at urgent care once again. We sat outside of Walgreens at 11:30 at night waiting for his prescription of antibiotics to be filled. We were exhausted and so sat in silence for a while…very rare moments. I noticed a click, click, click sound. I asked, “Is that your heart?” Josh said, “What? I don’t hear anything.” I said, “You don’t hear that clicking noise.” He listened again real intently and finally did hear it.
This noise was a beautiful sound to me. My mind brought up pictures from the past of standing at Joshua’s bedside after his first heart surgery when he was 9 months old. As the doctors came by to check on him in the following hours and days they would put their stethoscope on me and say listen. I would listen and hear a very loud click, click, click. That’s the sound of a good working prosthetic valve they told me.
I had to laugh sitting in the car that night with Joshua, that he didn’t know what sound I was talking about…he is so used to hearing it. I remembered having to get used to the sound myself as I would rock him to sleep all those nights after surgery. Since it’s been a lot of years since he’s been a baby and is rarely ever quiet…I haven’t heard that sound in a long time. I love getting those sweet little reminders of the miracles in our lives. What a blessing it is that someone came up with such a contraption and such surgeries to replace things in our bodies when they don’t work. To have such a skilled, intelligent, humble heart surgeon.
Matthew’s Immunologist just said the other day after reviewing all of his heart history…”Isn’t it amazing what Dr. Overman can do?” I laughed and said yes but isn’t it even more amazing what our Father in Heaven can do? In about a year (hopefully not any sooner) we will be there again…putting in a new valve and listening for that click, click, click…the sound of a good working prosthetic valve.
4 years ago

WOW! that's such an awesome story! I love your monday memories!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great story!!
ReplyDelete