Every fall the elementary school does a track and field day for Physical Education. Each grade runs at a seperate time around the field outside in 3 different groups and then you do a family walk around once. The first year Matthew did it, the Phy Ed teacher had some high school kids there to help and so one of the kids ran turtle in the back and stayed with Matthew. Last year though...nobody ran with Matthew. They followed the other kids that were behind but left Matthew in the dust. I am still mad at myself that I did not go out there with him. He was WAY behind everyone else. Out there all alone. The other parents start chattering around me..."Look at that poor little boy." I wanted to cry for him. I had two other little ones with me though and didn't know anyone I could leave them with there and so I stayed and just watched him struggle. Grrrrrr! One of those things a mother can't forgive herself for.
Anyway...this year I made sure I could go run with him. I'm always so proud of him for trying and for finishing! 3/4 of a mile is a long way for him. Good job Matthew!!! Noah did great in his race too! Yay Noah!

This is part of the group we started with - There were about 30 kids in a group. You can't see Matthew though - he's the camouflage coat.

It's just us out there.

We finished!

Matthew survived.

Here is Noah running his race. He is in the red jacket. Go Noah!
Never doubt that you are a wonderful mother. You do what you can, then you do even more. Your boys are blessed to have you as a mother. Yeah for "mom's walking the track", no-so-much... yeah for track and field in the cold.
ReplyDeleteBecky...you seriously cannot feel guilt for that. You said it yourself...what could you have done. Well, it appears you did what you could and you planned for it for the next time. You are an amazing mom...you keep those kids alive and I'm not sure I could manage even that much, much less show up for track and field day. Let's be real...
ReplyDeleteYea for Matthew and Noah! I am glad the teacher had the older kids help out, especially the one in the back. Maybe you should mention to the school how nice that was so they can make sure they do it for other kids in the future.
ReplyDeleteAhhh, mommy guilt. So many things in this life we can feel guilty about. I think as women, we feel responsible for everything. Trying our best is all we can do and you are such a great mom under pressure! Also, I think the things that bother us most, out kids don't care about all that much. With his accomplishment this year, last year is a faded memory for him.