I had been on bed rest most of the pregnancy. I had been diagnosed with placenta percreta. The placenta had grown through the uterine wall and into my bladder which at the time was not known. I missed another brother's wedding. My doctor, trying to talk me out of leaving town put it this way; "You'll go into labor, or start bleeding and they'll take you to a hospital, take the baby out and then leave you open. They'll put bags of ice on/in you and airlift you to a hospital that can handle this kind of trauma." That scared me enough to not go. I had to stay within 20 minutes of a major hospital because women with this condition will bleed to death without proper care.
Hysterectomy was not optional. I prayed sometimes that I would be ok...to be here to raise my children. I didn't pray too hard because deep down I knew that I would be just fine. Heavenly Father is smart...he would never leave THESE children in Mike's hands. They need me.
The baby grew well and was strong and I had no bleeding. They took him at 37 weeks before we got ourselves into an emergency situation. It was really neat to watch my doctor meditate and (I believe) pray while standing by my side before beginning. The drugs did not work on me as usual and surgery was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E!!!!! I had chosen to stay awake so that I could see my baby and then they didn't even show him to me. Baby born, hysterectomy, then bladder repair. Hours of absolute torture!
Anyway, a night in ICU, 8 units of blood, a catheter for 2 weeks, a stomach/bladder drainage tube for 1 week. I finally met my little Isaac the following day...who had been born big and didn't need any help breathing (which was another worry, taking him early). Things could have been so much worse...I know a couple of people that had this after me and have not had things go so smoothly.
I'm so grateful for my children and the trust Heavenly Father has in me.
And now, today my baby is 4. Time is going way too fast! What a blessing he has been to our family. Happy Birthday Isaac!

Happy Birthday to Isaac!
ReplyDeleteEven though I never comment. I do read you blog. I'd appreciate more postings. It's not like you do anything else.
ReplyDeleteLove you Becky.